Monday, September 27, 2010

Heading back to Antigua

I spent this afternoon playing some touch football with a bunch of people from church.  It was a great time filled with some laughs, excitement, and great exercise.  To continue to write this journal is exercise for me, and lately I have been not getting enough exercise of any kind.  If you had of seen me play touch football you would know exactly what I was saying.  I haven't been taking enough time for myself lately and it is starting to take a toll. 

So here is a small leap towards starting to make some of that time.  For this day in my journal I am feeling a bit dull, and I am anxious to serve more.  We are on the road again and I notice the heavily eroded rivers with flowing garbage and become frustrated with the global ignorance and apparent lack of rightous morality.  Why can we not all have enough to live a healthy and productive life.

June 2, 2010

All rivers seemed to have changed dramatically
overnight

I had a great sleep last night thanks to the hum of the air conditioner in this seedy hotel.  We walked to Saritas for breakfast and again like every meal there is no lack of conversation and good natured ribbing.  Domingo was the brunt of most jokes as he always seems to get us "almost there."  He took the teasing with good humor though and apologized for not showing us a better time.  Of course his apologies are completely unnecessary and it made me respect him a great deal for taking our jokes and feeling he had to apologize.

After breakfast we loaded the FH Van and headed back to Antigua and Los Bucaros.  Like the day before, the drive back was sombre and I enjoyed the scenery and changing topography back into Antigua.  Again it was hard to see the eroded rivers and the destruction the mudslides and flooding caused.  I pushed Domingo to see if we can help tomorrow with some of the clean up.  He said he'd see what he could do.


The garbage and amount of mud was unbelievable
for someone coming from the stable environment
I come from.

Once back in Antigua, Chris, Jordan, and I went to the market and I think Jordan is addicted to dickering.  He was good at getting his price and I got some great gifts for family and friends.  Again the Antigua Market is a great place to gain experience and people watch.  My little spanish is improving but language is a huge barrier.




Often this is what river crossings looked like. 
Lots of mud, no pavement, and who knows
what was underneath the van.

The team met at the square again and headed for supper.  Just before we met Jordan, Chris, and I stumbled upon a sports pub that was showing the hockey game.  We checked the score and then tried to convince the team it would be a good place to eat.  Unfortunately everyone had their stomach set on Italian, so Kara led us to Los Lamos which ended up being a great spot.  The service was great and the food was incredible.  I ate way more than I needed.  


After supper we all headed back to the hotel and many of us enjoyed playing catch phrase.  Before long we were tired out and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment