Sunday, November 21, 2010

The final Mission Dispatch

This is the last entry into my journal from my Guatemala Mission and it is appropriate as planning is now well underway for the next mission team to go to VHII.  I won't be able to make this trip but I am hoping that at some point I can once again return to Guatemala or maybe another location for a mission.  I was thinking a great deal about my Mission trip here a couple of weeks ago as we were experiencing more than normal rainfall for this time of year and we had a great deal of flooding (http://whalenswanderings.blogspot.com/2010/11/high-water-high.html) and I was able to simply absorb it as it was really nothing compared to what I saw in Guatemala.  That being said a number of my neighbors had their houses severely flooded.  Now I have turned to thoughts of Christmas, and I was wondering how my friends in Guatemala celebrate. 

But I am rambling, this entry was written at LaGuardia airport and then at the hotel in Bangor. It was a long day of travel and I was truly glad to lay my head down, but really wished it was in my own bed.

June 4, 2010
Right now I'm sitting at gate C5 in LaGuardia airport in New York, New York.  Our flight has been postponed an hour so now we have a six hour wait here before flying to Bangor.

The rest of our flights today have been very smooth.  We had to rush to catch our connector to New York after landing in Houston.  I was rushing with Denise and Sarah T as we happen to get through immigration and baggage claims together.  We were rushing so much that both girls ran out of their flip flops which I found incredibly funny.  Sarah was continually saying "this is so intense" and I have to admit it truly felt a bit "Amazing Race"ish.

When we lifted off in Guatemala I felt a huge sigh of relief.  I was sure things would go smoothly, so at present I'm a bit frustrated that once again, we are being delayed.  I have faith though that God has a plan and that there is a reason and purpose for our delay, even if I never know what it is.

I will wait and finish this entry at Bangor, as we have decided to spend the night there and head back to Sussex in the morning.

It is after midnight as I try to sit quietly and finish this entry.  I am tired and I don't have a great deal to express.  I simply wanted to say that I am truly thankful that I made all my flights safely and thank God for that.  I can't wait to get home tomorrow and hug my wife and kids.

It is terrible but I don't make another journal entry after this one.  I have learned a great deal more about myself since returning and re-reading my journal but I have not put any more into it.  This will not be my last mission though and I will fill my book with lots more great stories of how God is working in my life.  I was super excited to see my kids and my wife looked so beautiful when we finally pulled into the ACC parking lot.  It was a happy reunion and everyone had lots of emotion to share.  God can use us all to do great things if we simply give ourselves to him and I am blessed to have been one of his tools.

Love you Mission team, you guys are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment