Saturday, May 15, 2010

15/05/10

I have now registered my destination with the Canadian Consulate in Guatemala, with  a little confusion on my part.  I have also started packing, or atleast I have started to think about the packing process for the trip.  This is proving a bit different than packing for a 7 day backpacking trip.  When you add airports into travel things tend to get complicated.  We will be travelling through Bangor International, LaGuardia, George W. Bush, and Guatemala City International airports and thus I have to think about going through metal detectors, straps getting caught or torn, and other things.  Add to that, the warm, moist, and muddy climate of Guatemala and I will likely need to pack a good deal of underwear and socks.  Usually when backpacking my pack weighs between 30-40lbs and for this I have a 50lb baggage weight limit.  Good thing I'm use to packing light.  The biggest decision I have to make is to pack into a backpack or a suitcase.  I found this link helpful when considering my backpack as my check in luggage.

In last weeks Kings County Record I wrote a column on the upcoming Mission.  I decided to post it on my main blog as well.  You can check it out here: http://whalenswanderings.blogspot.com/2010/05/mission-trip-involves-two-communities.html

This will be the first in what I hope is a series of five.  The first two will lead up to the Mission and the remainder will be about the trip itself. 

LaGuardia is looming.  Guatemala here I come :P

No comments:

Post a Comment