Sunday, June 27, 2010

With a Heavy Stomach, but a Light Heart

Day five of the Mission to Guatemala was likely the toughest day I had in this journey.  I awoke feeling a wretched weight sitting in my stomach at around 4:00am and despite my bodies best attempts to rid itself of the weight I continued to feel like I had a brick sitting in my stomach throughout most of the day.  My journal for this day is short and unbelievably I forget to mention one of the biggest moments on the trip for some of those who were still at home.  With our resident computer technician, Chris Balzer, we were able to make a skype call, live, to the Atlantic Community Church in Apohaqui.  While it was choppy and not real clear, I could easily make out my family sitting near the front and hoped that they could not tell I was feeling ill, but so glad to see them.  This was my first time away from my 9month old daughter and in the end it would be the longest I had ever spent away from home.  Ok...to be honest....I fought back tears while I was asked to speak on the trip so far.  Remember though I wasn't feeling good and I'm sure that had something to do with the wet eyes :)

This was also the first day we were to work on the sports court which added to my frustration.  Through writing in my journal I think I was able to clear my head (or I was able to feel God's calming hand) and rationalize my situation.  Of course I didn't see this at the time, but after reading it back later, I realize what an asset my journal was at that point.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 

It's hard to write today.  I'm a bit disappointed because I've been sick.  I tried to do some of the work on the sports court but my stomach is just to tight to even move (this was a polite statement, as other things were...should I say...loose.)  I'm hoping that if I take it easy today that I can work better tomorrow and the rest of the week.

I didn't eat breakfast, but managed to eat a little lunch.  It is weird, the way I feel, my stomach is as tight as a drum and I feel real weak, but I will get by as I know God is with me and he has a plan.  My disappointment in not being able to help the team will disperse as the journey continues, and to be fair to myself, I did go and try to work but I was only able to work for about 45minutes.

Of course it is Sunday today, so work on the court only lasted through the morning.  After lunch we sat and prepped our small part for the Church service to be held at 4:00.  The service was loud, a bit too loud, but it was a strangely emotional one.  As the local people knelt to pray they all chanted their own prayer.  You could hear pain and feel their continual struggle.  An elderly gentleman with a daughter who was sitting behind me was sobbing and tears welled up in my eyes as I listened and despite not understanding his prayer, I knew how he felt and with absolute certainty God knew and I added my prayer to his in hope that he could find a peace, if only for a brief moment.  For our part in the service Wendy, Ray, and Bill provided some scripture adn the team sang one of our church songs "Our God Saves" and the congregation politely applauded our efforts and we all bonded over Christ's love for each of us.

As evening fell a huge crowd of kids gathered at our house and we played some games before bidding them buneos noches and then went to bed.  Rain fell hard as the guys sat in our bunks and it was soothing as it hit the tin roof......
Above: (l-r) Sara T, Lauren M, Denise M, Wendy O, Bernadette P, Amy S, and Bill A, singing at the church service.  Photo courtesy of Jordan DeWinter.

Other Photo Credits: The picture of me writing in my journalcourtesy of Ray Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment