Thursday, February 11, 2010

11/02/10

The emails are flying fast as we are trying to organize two events this weekend. I hope we haven't bitten off more than we can chew. It is exciting to have my life filled with so much. I am truly living life to the fullest right now and it hasn't been an easy week. My kids are both suffering from a cold and my 6month old daughter has not been sleeping hardly at all. To top it off my wife was in a car accident and the fate of our car is currently up in the air. Despite this I am still smiling and loving life. When I was younger I used to tell people I was going crazy when I felt like this and really I think insanity might be fun. Now that I am older I realize this is just the way "normal" is for me.

I was wondering what normal would be in Guatemala. It covers 110,000km2 and has a population of 13,276,500+ people, compared to Canada which is 9,984,670km2 with a population of 31,241,030. You do the math for population density and it isn't even close, Guatemala will seem very crowded to this Canadian boy....or will it? About 2.5million people live in Guatemala City, that leaves only 11million for the rest of the country or about one hundred people per square kilometer. Canada on the other hand has a density of 3.12 people/km2. We are heading to a rural mountain community however that is very much isolated and I am curious to see the different standards of life in this small country.

To read most websites on Guatemala it appears to be thriving and diverse. I have a sense though that this is limited to certain areas in this country and many challenges exist to create an equality. I will continue to explore and learn about the people I hope to be friends with and as I do I am sure I will grow to appreciate them, and I hope that they can do the same with me. Maybe I will learn what "normal" is to them and maybe my damaged car won't seem so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment